Q: How long will the Youth Ambassadors be in their host country?
A: Students spend approximately 3 weeks in the host country during the month of June, and another 3 weeks with their counterpart here in Phoenix in July.
Q: Do the Youth Ambassadors choose their host country?
A: No, our selection panel will match each participant to the country that best fits their personality. Willingness to travel to any of Phoenix’s ten sister cities is a prerequisite to applying. The more open-minded the better!
Q: Is financial aid available?
A: Yes, the (optional) final page of the application packet is to request financial aid. Please note that completion of the form does not guarantee that a student will receive aid.
Q: Do parents need to be involved?
A: Yes! Parents of Youth Ambassadors are expected to actively participate in the months between selection and departure, as well as when hosting their child’s counterpart. This is mainly through attending monthly sister city committee meetings and volunteering.
Q: If I don’t get in this year, can I apply again?
A: If you are currently a sophomore and are not accepted into the program, you may apply again next year.
Q: Can I participate in the program twice?
A: Unfortunately no, but we wish you well in your future travels as a global citizen!
Q: Who is on the selection panel?
A: The selection panel is composed of 13 members, including Phoenix Sister Cities staff, committee and board members, and Youth Ambassador alumni and alumni parents.
Q: If I didn’t attend Preview Night, can I still apply?
A: Yes! If you still have questions, please contact Bethany.Bennick@phoenix.gov
1. Check your grammar and spelling!
2. Submit your application well before the 5pm deadline- video files are large and may take time to send via email.
3. In your essay questions, focus on what makes you unique! Don’t tell us what you think we want to hear.
4. Think critically about who you ask to write your recommendation. It can be a teacher, coach, or other authority figure (no relatives).
5. Use the video submission to showcase your personality. We want to get to know you!
6. Do not wait until the last minute. Take the time to create a complete and thoughtful application.